ALLYSON'S ATTIC


/\ /\ /\ /\ Splash Page from Green Lantern #55 Pencils Doug Mahnke /\ /\ /\

Saturday, September 18, 2010

BRAVE and The BOLD : TEAM UPS Vol 1 TPB #27 #28 #29 #30 #31 #32 #33 Review

Rating 3.5 out of 5

A wonderful collection of stories written by J. Michael Straczynski.  The Brave and the Bold series is known for team-ups of DC heroes, but this set of stories allow us to visit old friends, or old hero's, from the past, and teams them again with our current day hero's.  These stories are more story driven morality tale, then action driven tale.  Each issue is a separate fully contained story unto itself.  Be warned they could cause the reader to cry.

I've put them in order from my favorite issue to my least favorite:


Issue #33: Ladies' Night
Zantana teams up with Wonder Woman to take Barbara Gordan on a night out from crime fighting.
 A very sentimental story with a high cry factor.(Rate 4)

Issue #30: The Green & the Gold
Green Lantern/Hal Jordan teams up with Dr. Fate/Kent Nelson. 
Hal gets help from a friend from the past and warns his friend of his future. (Rate 4)


Issue #32 : Night Gods
Aquaman teams up with The Demon Etrigan.
This was written before Aquaman's resurrection so it was a treat to see him in action again. They team up to stop a unworldly creature that tries to cross into our world .(Rate 4)

 Issue #27 : Death of a H.E.R.O 
Batman/Bruce teams with Dial H for H.E.R.O
The Dial gets into the hands of a unlikely hero.(Rate 4) 

Issue #28 : Firing Line
Flash goes back in time and teams with the Blackhawks.
A tribute to war veterans, as he helps to fight WW II.( Rate 3)



Issue #29 : Lost Stories of YEsterday, Today. and Tomorrow
Batman/Bruce teams with Brother Power the Geek
A look back at the 60's in comparison to today's Gotham. (Rate 3)

Issue #31 : Small Problems
The Atom teams up with .....
I didn't care for Small Problems, it wasn't a real team-up. It was about the Joker manipulating Atom who had gone into Joker's brain to save him, so I didn't care for it in the Brave and Bold title. It may have been okay in a different series.(Rate 2.5)





The Team Ups of The  BRAVE and The BOLD Vol 1
Includes The BRAVE and The BOLD issues 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33

Writter: J. Micheal Straczynski
Pencillers: Jesus Saiz, Chad Hardin and Justiniano
Inkers: Jesus Saiz, Wane Faucher and Walden Wong
Letterer Rob Leigh
Colorist: Trish Mulvihill, Brian Miller
 
 
Covers: Jesus Saiz
Publisher: DC Comics
2009 Nov Dec 2010 Jan Feb Mar Apr May

1 comment:

  1. All of these were great.
    My favorite's when this way.

    1. #27: Death of a H.E.R.O.
    I loved this story. I really don't know why but I just felt so good after reading this issue.

    2. #32: Night Gods
    I loved the art. I loved the Demon and thought this story flowed very good and I read this issue 3 time the day I got it.

    3. #33: Ladies Night
    Just a great story. Very heart felt and lots of emotion.

    4. #28: Firing Lane
    I'm just a sucker for WWII stuff.

    These are my favorite out of his run so far.

    I was super excited when I heard about JMS taking over the writing in Superman & Wonder Woman. I feel that he hasn't been as strong as these Brave and the Bold issue yet.

    ReplyDelete