ALLYSON'S ATTIC


/\ /\ /\ /\ Splash Page from Green Lantern #55 Pencils Doug Mahnke /\ /\ /\

Friday, July 2, 2010

WONDER WOMAN #600 REVIEW

RATING: 2.9 out of 5

The only thing that I liked about the issue were the pin up posters, because they gave me a walk through memory lane, which made the issue worth the price.  The stories, seemed really lack luster..., at best.

FULL REVIEW: Some Spoilers

This was  a milestone issue, and with the caliber of talent that was involved,  this..is... all... they can come up with.  This book should have knocked my socks off, but didn't, and I was disappointed.  If these creators were within reach when I read it, I would have flipped the back of their heads. 

They had one of the most gorgeous, sexy, SMART, powerful, exotic, independent, and recognizable W-O-M-A-N in comics, or the world, and I thought this was the most pitiful bunch of stories to be put in a Milestone issue.

I'm a woman, a married mother of three, and when I was a kid, I looked up to Wonder Woman.  I had a Wonder Woman doll. I absolutely loved that doll, because I felt more in tune with that doll, then I did with any of my Barbies.  Wonder Woman stood STRONG in a man's world and I wanted to be just... like... her.  

I've learned from her that I could take care of myself as a woman.  I didn't need a man to make me feel pretty, or to take care of me, or to make me happy, or to succeed as a woman.

I love my husband, and I love men (especially nicely drawn men).  I like being treated like a lady and being put on a pedestal, BUT I've learned from Wonder Woman... that I can make that damn... pedestal myself.  I don't need someone else to do things for me, and I've learned to accept.. nothing less... then to be treated as I should be treated, with respect.


The first story, Valedictorian, by Gail Simone, was great in the beginning with Wonder Woman leading a team in battle, but then I realized it was a all female team. Yes, I understood that the story premise was that the men couldn't be involved, but I felt that the whole ideal was placating to male readers, who think that the only time a woman can be in charge is when it is a female only group, AND what do they fight, Fembots.  Fembots being the villains, on top of it being a all girl team... pissed me off. 

Then Simone's story just got worse because it became boring.  Wonder Woman was being idealized by the other heroines in the group, who looked up at her with googly eyes, which didn't describe those individual characters very well.  Gail Simone is one of my favorite writers, and it pains me to say this,  but this sucked for a Wonder Woman story in a Milestone issue, or any issue.

The second story, Fuzzy Logic,  by Amanda Conner, was amusing, and Power Girl was at least able to talk to her as equals, but the subject matter of a... cat, that had problems, was a little lame.  I didn't know Wonder Woman ever had a cat to even be able to help Power Girl with hers. This would be a good story as a co-feature to a regular issue. But for a Milestone issue? not so much.





At least Wonder Woman,...who can't lead men, ...or fight men in the previous story with Simone, has another talent given to her by Conner... Everyone needs a back up plan.  She can give advice on ...pets, kind of ah "Pet Whisperer".  Perhaps Bruce can ask Diana about his dog,  Ace, when he chews the furniture or chews Robin's homework.


The third story, Firepower, by Louise Simonson, was a better fit for a Milestone #600 issue.  In this story, Wonder Woman stands on the same level as Superman.  They are fighting together as partners and as equals. She saved the pilots of the plane, who were grateful to be alive, and Superman saved a arm load of stewardesses(that did make me smile).  The story showed that Superman, a man, and colleague, had a lot of respect for her.  It was a charming read.
 The fourth story, 
The Sensational Wonder Woman, by Geoff Johns, was really a good story, but there needed to be more of it. 
It seemed rushed, and I guess it was because it was a lead into J.Michael Straczynski's story, ODYSSEY.  The last  line in John's story was "Let the ODYSSEY of Wonder Woman BEGIN." but his story was the only story in the book that made me want more, even though it wasn't meant to be more then it was.




The last section of the issue, ODYSSEY: Prologue: Couture Shock, by J. Michael Straczynski.


I guess the title has something to do with the makeover/redesign of Wonder Woman. 
Couture means custom clothing, or hand made clothing, or the redesign of the outside wrapper not changing the inside, which all could describe what  DC and Straczynski is trying to do with Wonder Woman.
The prologue was okay, until she was shown trudging through a sewer drain(EeeeU) with the stoic bald headed ladies dressed in gray, who were a little creepy. 
Then we meet, who I've termed "Chatty Cathy", or who Straczynski calls "Oracle".  I think she is Athena, but at this point, I'm really not interested and he's lost me as a reader. 

BUT.... I've got to say that I'm a fan of the TV series  Babylon 5, which was largely written by Straczynski,  and even though that first movie that started the Babylon 5 series, was bone braking boring, the TV series itself was awesome, so I may check in later on this story to see what's going on.

So there you have it, the MILESTONE issue, feels like a pebble in your shoe.


3 comments:

  1. I've only read the JMS story so far and I believe I am in the minority, because I think the costume is kind of cool. I think it would work well as an undercover outfit for her, but I don't think it works as the main costume for the long run.

    As for the new direction, I have to see a bit more of it before I can judge whether I will like it or not. So far it seems like a been there, done that.

    But maybe he'll do something good with the story and spin it so it's interesting.

    I just hope that this doesn't lead to every book skipping over to the new timeline as some are speculating will happen once FLASHPOINT starts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like JMS' writing so its a wait a see kind of thing.

    I was hoping that #600 would be a great jumping on point to Wonder Woman, since we don't have it on our pull list, but now I'm not that excited about it anymore.

    I'm not looking forward to FLASHPOINT
    What I've heard about it and from the previews, I'm just not that interested in it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete